Lambda Omega Alpha Scholarship Overview:
The Lambda Omega Alpha Scholarship Fund was established in 2006, in conjunction with the Texas Exes, to support the academic career of current active fraternity members through an endowed scholarship. Contributions to this fund will ultimately enable annual scholarships to be awarded in perpetuity. Scholarship recipients will be selected via a committee of alumni in conjunction with the president of LOA. Thank you for contributing to this lasting legacy.
Donate now to the LOA Scholarship Fund via the Texas Exes! – recurring or one time
Details & 2016 Exception:
As of May 2016, we need to raise just over $5,000 to hit $20,000 in principal (money donated), which allows annual distributions to begin…and the more we raise, the more we can give out each year.
For 2016, the Texas Exes Board granted us an exception to the principal requirements and allowed us to make a one-time $500 distribution. Our hope is that by May 2018 we can hit the $20k mark to continue with the distributions. Donate now and help us keep the scholarship distributions going!
We are happy to announce Brian Talbot as the first recipient of a $500 LOA Scholarship for 2016/2017. Brian is entering his senior year at the University of Texas at Austin, majoring in History, with plans to pursue a career in teaching. Enthusiastic and dedicated since pledging in the Fall of 2015, Brian will serve as Secretary for Fall 2016. An excellent example of every Lambda Pillar, Brian spent the summer of 2016 teaching classes for under-privileged children in the Austin area. He is a loving and caring fiancé and a cherished brother to everyone in the fraternity.
Once we hit $20k in principal/donations:
- Distribution Amount = avg of last 12 quarters of total account balance (principal + interest) x distribution rate.
- Texas Exes investment advisers set distribution rate…currently ~4.5%.
- Can distribute less than allowed amount if desired.
- Can distribute more than allowed amount with supplemental one-time donations.
- General Timeline:
- Feb/Mar: LOA actives/ECB nominate several potential recipients to scholarship committee (comprised of alumni and active LOA president).
- Apr/May: Scholarship committee selects recipient and notifies them.
- June 1: Deadline for recipient name to be submitted to Texas Exes.
- Aug: Recipient picks up their check from Texas Exes.
For questions, contact us: